View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Rickh54

Hello All, trusting you are all still on this healthy, happy road.
My apologies for not checking in over the last couple of months.
Looked at the calendar today and realized tomorrow marks my 21st month of sobriety. Stopped to think how much has changed for the better for me and my family. And made me think how much all of you and others helped me get to this point. Thank you.
I have been busy with life... kids, grandkids, yard x 2, travel, work, work and did I mention work. My two grandsons are now 4.5 and 2.65 years of age and the best pals an old drunk could have. We spend so much time together, just hanging out. Riding our bikes, throwing rocks in the river, eating ice cream before dinner, learning to pee in the back yard. You know, all the stuff Papa is supposed to teach them.
My long time buddy (50 years) is a raging drunk. He just came off a 90 binge that I thought would kill him for sure. He is one of many reasons I quit. He has been getting farther and farther down the black hole over the last 15 years. Lost at least 10 jobs, wife, girl friends, friends, family support. He is different than me in one respect. He has no wife, kids and many friends left. No one to be accountable to.
I do, and the walls were closing in on me. My family caught my act. If my buddy wants to drink for 3 days or 90 days, no body around to answer to.
He is now one month sober, after 2 weeks in hospital. I wish him well. I talk to him every day as I did the last 15 binges. Have told him about this site, but no luck yet,
Will keep on him
I have to get an ultra sound on Thursday. My PSA level shot up since my physical in November. Could be prostate inflammation or cancer. A little worried at this point.
Dr. said that at 61, something else will kill me before prostate cancer. I don't believe him. I self diagnosed on Google and sure enough, I will be dead by Christmas. Ha ha ha. My kids and wife are more worried than I am.
All in all, life is good. Putting in my exit plan for work. Should be done this time next year. I've had it. 40 years slugging it out in the jungle is enough for me.
I have so much joy in my life right now and it keeps getting better and better.
Stopped into my old tavern the other day. Heard my favourite young server got married this summer. She was so happy to see me, big hug. Said they all missed me, but were so glad I wasn't wearing a hole in the corner bar stool anymore.
I haven't read the last few pages of posts from you yet, but I will and get caught up with the comings and goings.
Stay strong, stay proud and stay sober.
Rick