Thread: 900 Days :)
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wehav2day

900 Days :)

Wow, so 900 days! Not yet 1000, but not bad...

What have I learned? A LOT!
If you think you can't do it, you ABSOLUTELY can! If you think your life will be the same, it absolutely won't. You can't quit drinking and rain the exact same person. To use a snake analogy, I had to she'd a lot of old skins. I had to be willing to try anything, make myself uncomfortable, admit things I didn't want anyone to know, come to terms with all of the terrible things I did and ask for forgiveness when all I wanted to do is crawl into a hole and die. Most of all, I had to learn to forgive myself. Forgive myself for the terrible things I did, and even the terrible things that were done to me. Some days I felt like I was making a little progress, some days I felt really stalled. But when looking back, I realize a lot happened in these 900 days. I've don a lot of work, but you know what I got in return? FREEDOM!! Freedom from booze. Freedom from fear. Freedom from worrying what others think of me. Confidence that I'm far from perfect, but I'm always doing my best. I'm truly doing my best, and my soul feels free in that.

Recovery is a journey. Quitting the booze is just the beginning. So many times, I thought quitting was the destination, so I went back to drinking because I couldn't see past it.

Believe me, quitting is the beginning of the hardest/coolest journey ever.

On 2/22/2013, my life was a complete mess. I was barely functioning in my job. I found no joy in a profession I'd spent my whole life getting established in. It was a miracle I hadn't gotten a DUI or god forbid hurt someone. My relationship was a complete mess, I was very soon to be single.

On 8/11/2015, I love my job again and my boss just took me aside to talk promotion. I never worry about whether I should get into my car, I'm always fit to drive. My partner and I not only stayed together, we built a stronger relationship and got married in May.

We are looking at houses. I have perfect credit. I feel healthy. I don't go out of my way, but I can walk I to a bar or party with no desire to drink. Because I'm free!

I have to work on it a little bit daily, but the promises of recovery are true! I got a new life. You can too. Recovery is a commitment, but so is drinking. Recovery can be a pain, but so is drinking.

My hope for everyone here is that you find or stay in recovery. Don't just quit drinking, recover. It's soooooo worth it!

Please add your favorite things about this journey we're on.