View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and thank you for sharing your story. As you most likely know from your career, sharing these things in itself can help quite a bit. Have you shared these thoughts or your struggles with drinking with your therapist? If so it might be a good thing to do as well.

You mentioned that you surround yourself with people who drink just like you. Most of us did, I know I did. One of the first ( and hardest ) things you'll need to do is stop surrounding yourself with those kinds of people. It will be difficult, but you need to build up a network of people who do not drink alcoholically. To my surprise, and most alcoholics, most people do NOT drink alcoholically...most drink moderately or not at all. It's tough but a step you need to take for at least a while.

Being a therapist you probably also know that it will take more than just "not drinking" to get you where you want to be. Meeting based recovery can be a part of that of course, or counseling, or self help, etc. Finding a balance of what works best for you is key, and always remember that you are the patient here - the tables are flipped - so you will need to accept that help must come from outside to make this work long term.

I hope you can join us for some more conversation and sharing, SR can be an invaluable place to find support.