Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Zufrieden

Hi Sasha,
I just spent a weekend away with old friends and was sober during my time with them. I was, for the first time, really aware of how superficial their conversations and activities were. There was very little substance to any of it and I was struck by how sad it was that, nearing 50 years old and 30 years as friends, the group chose to get really drunk rather than truly catching up.
I have a poker/fishing friend who has been sober for about 5 years. He comes on all of our trips and is always a solid sober presence in the background. Trip after trip I have found myself staggering over to him to talk because he is so grounded and comfortable with himself. He served as an inspiration to me in June when I first quit drinking.
You seem to be a person of great depth and wisdom. My guess is that you are a wonderful friend and a great person to be around. Frivolity under the influence probably pales in comparison to your new solid personality. I'm sure it is noticed and appreciated by many of your friends.
Thank you for your post.
Jonathan