Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NickOz21

Sober 1 month ! Challenges and What Helps:

Hey everyone,

I joined SR recently when I realized I was absolutely destroying my life by drinking large amounts of alcohol and often mixing them with multiple benzo's like Xanax. I'm only 28...

I've been sober for one month - barely. Last two nights I've been looking at alcohol at the convenience store. Even holding a six pack in my hand and asking about the price... It is tough.

Here's what's worked for me:

- Accepting I have a destructive relationship with alcohol... this was HUGE in my recovery.

- Keeping a daily count to record my sobriety... one of the reasons I didn't relapse is because I didn't want to have to reset the counter. Each day I would feel a small sense of accomplishment.
- Scrolling through SR - I can relate a lot to what people have to say and they're struggles.
- Having a supportive family/partner - reaching out to them.

Major challanges:
- AV - when your alcoholic voice knocks, it knocks LOUDLY ! It will whisper in a very sweet voice "Just one... there's no harm in just 1." However I do not have an off-switch, it's never just one.

- My best friend is a heavy drinker and has been drinking for 32 years. He has no interest in going sober though.

- Learning about the destructive effects of alcohol through shows like Intervention and surfing the web... Even though I have studied drug and alcohol abuse I'm selectively ignorant on the subject - your mind doesn't want to admit that 'booze is bad' but it is !

---- THANK YOU SR. You're all very supportive and I really appreciate being a part of the community.