View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
HeartsAfire

I'm gonna give you another perspective. Coming out to my husband, teen son & a few very trusted friends was a complete game-changer for me. Most of my drinking career was hidden & done alone. The secrets kept me bound to the drink for 22 years.

I had multiple attempts at "cutting back" before this attempt at sobriety. I'm going to have 1 year this month. In my opinion it's no coincidence that I quit for good after confiding in my family & friends.

Turns out the secret I thought I had hidden for so long wasn't really a secret after all. I was met with such relief and compassion that it bolstered me thru those first shaky days and weeks. While I did not use them as my primary support, it helped knowing they knew & that they were gentle and supportive. It may not be everyone's experience but it was mine and I think you deserve to know it can be a positive and helpful.

So while you don't have to shout it from the rooftops, I think it's fine & even healthy to talk to your family about it. Like mine, they may already know anyway. I would first thoughtfully consider your expectations of them and their potential responses as well. And please know that it might not be the best idea to have them as your primary support - especially if they have no prior experience with addiction.

Either way, welcome to the best decision you ever made! Good luck & keep us posted.