View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
minime13

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
You are very right Hawkeye - No doubt about it, but he was there for me to help with my health issues after I came out of the hosp . 2 years ago . I may have just came home and finish killing myself drinking .
I feel I owe him to be there for him now .
I lived with him for 3 months after the hosp . cause I was so sick . He would come back and forth to my place and check on things or pick up clothes for me . My biggest problem is I have not learnt to deal with being around others that drink any place . After 2 years I should be strong enough to handle that !!
I turn down invitations to parties , barbecues all places that have alcohol being served . I'm ok if someone comes to visit with 1 in their had as long as they don't stay long or want more than 1 .
I will work on handling being around it more , If I don't I never will have a social life .
There is no rule that states you have to put up with toxic people and their toxic behavior because they helped you once. The past is the past, and people change (and some don't), but what counts is the present.

Here's a question: would you put up with any rude and disrespectful behavior from any of your other friends? If you had a friend who wasn't an alcoholic and they continually showed no respect for your wishes and requests, would they still be your friend?

If he's continually doing these things, it seems to show he isn't capable of really respecting you. is it really worth it to put up with a friend that has no respect for you?