View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

I became very interested in adult Adhd when I did a research paper for a developmental psychology course.
So many adults, who were not identified in childhood, have the condition and are never made aware of it. It is most frequently identified in adulthood when one of their children are identified----and the parent says---"Hey, wait a minute. I think I have the same thing!" It does have a strong genetic component. And...there are different "types"...not always the stereotypical picture that some people have.
Drugs and alcohol is a frequently used as self medication.
Thus, when a person is getting into recovery it is very important to identify this condition...as it is always important to identify any dual diagnosis conditions that may exist.
Actually, as it turns out, I know a lot of people with adult adhd......

In addition to the books that have already been mentioned---I, also, highly recommend the book: "Is it You, Me, or the ADD?" Particularilly for relationships that may be affected by this co ndition...
It the undiagnosed condition exists in a marriage....this book could be life-saving,,,or, at least, relationship saving...lol.
I also highly recommend: "You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?"

I think that an interesting story that depicts how this condition can exist without the bearer being aware, is the story of Lisa Ling, the investigative reporter who is well known from the View and has done a lot of work for the OWN Network,
She became suspicious when she was doing a documentary on a bo y who had the condition. She went to see an expert---and was so relieved to find out that she DID have it......It turns out that she struggled privately, for years with the symptoms. She said it was like a giant burden that she had carried, for years, on her shoulders, was removed....

Fire Sprite, I applaud your efforts and if you have an "index of suspicion"...by all means, follow your instincts on this.....
If I can be of any help to you....PM me at any time!!!!!

dandylion