Thread: 1 Year Today
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jake1961

1 Year Today

Hard to belive I have 1 year of sobriety today. Last summer the binge drinking was getting out of control. The amount I was drinking is not relevent. I'd start as soon asI got home from work around 2:30PM and drink until late into the night our until I "fell asleep" in front of the computer. Weekends started around 11:00AM. I am fortunate, no arrests, fights, or job losses due to drinking. Very lucky indeed.

A back injury and a perscription for pain killers with Tylenol was the trigger I needed to stop. Tylenol and alcohol can be a deadly mix.

My AV was in charge during my drinking but the rational part of my brain knew I was drinking too much. As I would lean against the refridgerator pouring my 7th or 8th glass of wine for the night another voice would say " what benefit are you getting from this?" and "this needs to stop soon".

The stress and triggers in my life are still threre but I can deal with then better than when I was drinking. Physically I am better, back still hurts a bit and I need to loose some weight. No longer puffy and bloated. Memory and self confidence has improved.

I chose not the go to AA, and instead used SR and a few books to learn what I needed to do to stop. Encouragement from members Dee and Sober Wolf and other SR members helped a lot too.

A few months I told a friend that I stopped drinking. I know he used to drink and has been sober for years. He said congratulations but don't pat yourself on the back too hard for not doing something you shouldn't be doing anyway.

I used to count the days sober, now looking forward to counting the years.

Thanks to all here, many have played a par in my sobriety. For those starting out, it can be tough at times but so all all good things in lfe.