View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Alterity, I don't doubt for a minute your fear for your B and your urgency to "do something" because the system fails him. You haven't been here long enough to know our stories, but most of us here have been where you are and most of us here tried what you are trying...and many of us here, like me, almost died trying to help someone who didn't want or would not accept (without an ulterior motive to get drugs) help.

We can't love them well, if we could not one of us would be here. We can't buy them well, lord knows I threw thousands of dollars into trying to help my son, we can't speak rationally to someone who is out of control...we just cannot change what is not ours to change.

I know you may think your situation is different, but sadly it's the same story we have been sharing here for many years. There is not enough help and resources out there for our addicted loved ones, but there is enough help that costs nothing if they are willing. The Salvation Army provides free rehabs that have helped many, it's not the price, it's the willingness of the addict to get clean. In Canada, where I live, there is free counselling and all 12-step meetings are free. There are free detoxes and free treatment outpatient programs...all good, none successful for an addict who isn't willing.

I wish you luck with your B and will keep him in my prayers. Please take a good read around here and you may find some information that will help you deal with all this.

Hugs