Old 07-27-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wehav2day

I can't possibly tell you what to do about your husband. I can tell you that two months sober is an eternity for a recovering alcoholic, and I can imagine aboutdarnedtime for things to improve for those who love us. But in terms of actual recovery (not just "not drinking"), it's about two seconds.

Most of us didn't become alcoholics overnight. Even if some of us did, hardly any of us stopped drinking soon after realizing we had a problem. I drank alcoholically for 10 years. At two months sober, I was a complete mess. It only takes a week or so for alcohol to completely leave our system. But it takes the body months, upwards of a year to completely physically recover. Emotionally, it can take longer.

At two months, Everything can still be very raw. In rehab, is he working some sort of program? Is he developing a recovery plan for when he gets out? Is he forming a relapse prevention plan, trying to set up a sober network for when he's out in the world again?

If he's doing all of hose things, and happens to be emotionally raw, there's a possibility he's just in early recovery. If that's the case, there's a chance he'll recover and be a better man.

If he's just going thorough the motions in rehab, not getting a plan together for when he's out, not working any kind of program now, he's quite possibly just dry.

The main difference between dry and sober to me, is someone who is sober is actively working to improve his or her life and the lives of those who love him. A dry person just ain't drinking. All the crap that led them to drink is still there.

Becoming and living sober takes time and a lot of perseverance. My partner stuck around, and we are happy. But it took me a good 6 months to feel better, a good year to truly change. She had to change, too. Our relationship was messed up by my drinking, her coping, and both of our sets of baggage we entered the relationship with had to be addressed. What we have now is very honest, real, loyal and kind in the face of each other's shortcomings. I treasure our marriage, but it wasn't an easy road.