Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
shil2587

I am the partner of a recovering alcoholic who has been on and off the wagon a few times. In my experience, it's the best thing for ME to leave his recovery to him.

After years of drinking, they have to learn how to live all over again, this time without alcohol. Think teenager. Learning how to manage moods and others expectations whilst figuring out who they are. All of that takes time. If he is serious about recovery then yes, there will be days when he is hanging on by the skin of his teeth to not pick up so might well do things to distract himself, like watching TV all day or programming something on the computer.

But this is a positive thing for YOU because all the time he will be learning how to stay sober.

The alternative is your feeling like you have to manage him and chase him to do things. You will feel more stressed and he will be more likely to pick up. At least that's been my experience.

The situation shouldn't be indefinite, but for the first few months, certainly, you're both going to need to be very forgiving with each other and look after yourselves separately.