View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
stephenrr

I started taking Naltrexone last Wednesday. For me, it doesn't really stop the cravings, but when I drink I don't feel any certain satisfaction from it. I guess that's kind of the point of the drug; to cut off the receptors in the brain that associate drinking as a pleasurable experience.

I wouldn't say that the side effects I experienced were horrible... It seems to be effecting my sleep a bit, and I wake up much earlier each day and can't seem to go back to bed. So I'm a bit tired every day, but I think I'm starting to get use to it. I wouldn't want to feel this way every day for months, I can say that for sure, but it does seem to be working; the first night, I drank half as much as I typically would have, then the second night I drank a little less than half as much, the following days have been at about half. One thing I noticed last night when I drank was that I really seemed to be losing the desire for it, after I started to feel the alcohol in my system I remember thinking to myself "this doesn't feel that good, I want to have a clear mind again". That's something I definitely wouldn't have thought in the past while drinking.

Anyway, definitely good for you to talk with your Dr. about it. Hopefully all these side effects are temporary because I'd really like this to work for me, for anyone/everyone that needs help.

Please keep us updated on what happens with you, and what your Dr says. Though this drug is not new, it's the first time that so many people have been taking it for alcohol dependency, and though a lot of people are saying they're having success with it, I think the jury is still out.