Thread: I heart SMART!
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BobArctor

The question is for Weasel1966, but I can also describe some differences.

AA meetings usually have a rule not allowing cross-talk in meetings. For me, this makes the meetings almost useless because I'm just talking to myself in public. SMART meetings and Life ring meetings encourage cross-talk and supportive feedback.

AA places emphasis on admitting you are an alcoholic. SMART does not promote equating yourself with a label. Alcohol addiction is considered a learned behavior trait that can be unlearned. Unlearned doesn't mean going back to drinking. SMART is abstinence based.

AA focuses on being powerless over addiction. That has some subtle meanings. For the idea that you can't stop your addiction by any other means than asking a higher power to remove it, SMART considers alcohol addiction to be a behavior that can be unlearned. It suggests empowering yourself, not helplessness. SMART stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training.

When AA philosophy is considered to include the chapter to the agnostic in the big book, AA is a religious program that tells you that you can learn to not be agnostic and postpone accepting God until it inevitably becomes evident to you. But, AA also suggests taking what you can and leaving the rest. But, AA also suggests accepting the entire program. But, AA meetings vary and there are agnostic/athiest AA groups.

SMART states no opinion about religion but does not include acceptance of a deity in it's program. Again, some AA groups also don't. And both organizations allow people to participate without accepting all of the program.

Generally, the dynamics of the group is what is important, more so than the specifics of either program. So, there are some great AA meetings and some not so great SMART meetings.

To me, AA meetings feel like a group of people helping each other to accept their doom, SMART and Life ring meetings feel hopeful.

AA generally promotes the view that we are defective people who can learn to overcome some of our defectiveness through the program. SMART and Life ring promote the idea that we are no different than anyone else, except that there are some behavior traits that we need to unlearn.

I am too poor to travel to a SMART meeting these days.