View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Originally Posted by BobArctor View Post

That is like what I was getting at by this thread. How do I adopt the social convention where communication is transient blather, so that I'm not seen as uptight and nerdy, while also somehow communicating information?

I think it is like how when birds meet each other they do a little ritual involving gestures of agreement. I am failing to do the ritual correctly. It seems like I need to get that down before I have a chance of communicating information.

I am implying that the social conventions are stupid. And, I think they are. But, I am certain that I do the same thing in some other way. So, I'm pointing out what I think is something stupid that we all do and how to deal with different variations of it.
Well, I will respond again because I have thoughts on this. But I do not wish to hog all the "response air time". So, other SR members, please jump in.

You are in financial straits and everyone has to eat. Since your firing involved an area of weakness that needs improvement, it would probably be a good idea to find a job not involving your weakness so as to feed and clothe yourself as well as put a roof over your head.

Can you do technical writing with your current knowledge base? A job independent of social interaction or people management and team work?

Then, dip your toes in the social skills development pond. Maybe create your own meetup.com group and make it interesting (although a group such as that would inherently be interesting, I think - at least I would love to be fly on the wall and learn a thing or two). A therapist would be good for hangups and things that need to be 'gotten over'. It sounds like a life coach would be more useful - someone who is in the same boat who figured out how to do what you seek. If you live near a university, you could advertise for this 'teacher' in exchange for tutoring or something.

Once you learn some skills then it will be your choice how often and when to apply them in a workplace, if at all.

What I really would like to know is what is wrong with being uptight and nerdy (other than being fired for it)? It takes all kinds, right?