View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ardy

hi kddo this is so true what redatlanta says... my hubby too.. have to watch his diet like a hawk or its pop right back to square one.... prayers get some funny cook books on healthy eating.. there is one for Cats... yep I have it.. and cook often from it.. fresh and good for picky sick Cats.. and has my hubby licking the plate.. no kidding... not Cat Food written by a French Lady Chef for her Cats I found it and for 5.00 with 125 pages and good color photos yummmmm... just can't let hubby see the book ahahahahha... it works no kidding.. and tastes great... prayers ardy

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
My husband also had pancreatitis. Now he has chronic pancreatitis.

His journey didn't end the first bout in 2000. I hope your son is truly on board. I hope he goes into a recovery program, and doesn't rely on the fear of illness cause we all know the Alcoholic can rationalize.

My husband 2 years after first attack continued drinking (went from daily to binge his idea of moderation) ended up in a 30 day coma from pancreatitis. At that point it was chronic. This is when he stopped drinking in 2002. After 6 weeks hospitalization it was another 3 weeks in physical rehab to learn how to walk again. Here is what happened AFTER he stopped. The gallbladder was also damaged and he had to go in for ERCP procedures every 3 month for I think 4 years. Eventually they took that out. Then he developed type 1 diabetes (considered a 1 because it was from a damaged pancreas) in 2007. In 2008 he had a modified whipple procedure at Mayo with a double biliary bypass. 3 week hospital stay. When I met him in 2010 He was going into the hospital several times a year with pancreatitis. Along the way he also developed a dependency on pain meds (as I have been schooled in the medical field they prefer the term "dependent" rather than addicted as it separates legal and illegal use of prescription meds). Last year after 12 years of dependency (honestly you couldn't tell if even took them) he decided to come off them.

Now the good news, we have changed his diet completely. Now eat 90% organic. Watch the fats etc he now goes 8 - 12 month between attacks for the last 3 years. We are hoping that now that he has come off the pain meds we see longer lengths if never again. There is a definite improvement in digestive system after coming off the meds. The meds are a necessity when the pancreas is inflamed (btw it is considered the one of most painful disease right below bone cancer), but they are no good for the pancreas either.

Your son needs to pay attention to his diet. Fats are the hardest thing for the body to digest and I have seen my husband end up in the hospital after eating a plate of fried food. Of course he is chronic whereas I doubt your son is - but at least for awhile you son needs to steer clear of fatty, high cholesterol foods.

Please print this off and let your son read it. My husband was sober 10 years and relapsed in 2012. Thankfully it was short all things considered. After the fact he told me he was barfing up a lung daily he hid it well. My husband would kidnap your son if he could to prevent this from happening to him.

Wishing your son Godspeed and many prayers that this is really it for him, and that he lives a healthy and long life free of chronic pancreatitis and diabetes.