View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

ownedbypugs....for several years I was the medical co-ordinator of an alcohol program for a large HMO. Many of my patients came to me via an acute attack of pancreatitis. Yes....it is as serious as everyone is saying (and as you know).
The attacks are, also, extrordinarily painful....about like passing a large kidney stone type painful.....
For many of the patients....the bad experience was enough to "scare" them into the treatment program for the first time (ever). Most of them were middle-aged and had been drinking for at least 20 or more years. (a few were young).
Of course, I held their hand through detox and saw them every three days...and followed them verry closely! Even eating a high fat meal can throw them into another attack in the healing period.

My point is this: During the very early phase, after the attack....there is where much progress can be made. While the memory of the pain, etc. is fresh. Strike while the iron is hot....LOL!!
His girlfriend might be willing to go to alanon---which she needs, badly....at this point. Now would be the time for him to start attending AA.

I hope you, as a family, can make use of this very valuable "window" of time.
I am sharing all of this with you for this very purpose....alcoholics seem to make the most progress when they are hurting...(who knew?).

Virtually all of my patients went into treatment.....but, of course, I clung to them like a barnacle....holding them with one hand, and "pushing" them with the other,,,,lol!

dandylion