View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nyala

When to tell the one you love...?

Hello,

I am as certain as I can be that I have stopped drinking forever.

I'm 44 days in, with only one worrying wobble ( one week ago ) , which was swiftly dealt with by me posting here and getting help from all of you.

Life is demonstrably better in every way and I genuinely have no desire to go back to drinking. I am also truly scared of what might happen if I did, and I am also selfish enough to never want to have to go though another withdrawal.

So that's that. I am walking on a path towards sober happiness and not ( as in the past ) 'giving up drinking for an unspecified period '.

The issue is this.

I really want to tell Mrs Fradley the good news. I know she will be delighted and supportive - and also relieved to know this time it is for real.

But, when I look at it from her point of view - how could she know that I am as certain as I am ? Does it matter ?

My fear is she may unwittingly say something dismissive, negative or maybe even slightly less that 100% supportive - and if this happens I'm not sure how I will react.

I am worried it may turn out to be a trigger - get amplified into one of those " no-one cares, so what's the point? " internal conversations.

As I write this, I think that even if that did happen, I doubt I would go as far as actually drinking alcohol, but it may cause me a day or tw of anxiety and misery I can do without.

So, dear friends, I would welcome your advice

Choice 1 (go for it): Celebrate my good news with Mrs F now.

+ve = I will have a supportive wife as well as SR to strengthen me against the AV

-ves = A dismissive response from Mrs F would have the opposite effect

or

Choice 2 (wait): play it safe and get 100 days under my belt.

+ve = 100 days will be way beyond any previous PB ( 70 days ). So I can have evidence 'that this time it is for real '

-ves = I have to keep my secret for another 55 days and postpone any celebration and healing

Its tricky because I feel I am gambling with my AV here. Which tactic would stifle the beast more quickly ?

Thanks

Fradley

Last edited by nyala; 07-21-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: HTML fail