Thread: Motivation
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KaleGrrl

Originally Posted by KaleGrrl View Post
Dandelion, I try to be easy on myself these days, but I get stressed if I know I'm giving into my procrastinating tendencies too much. Just trying to strike a balance and take care of myself, too.

There's a trick I've used to kick start myself on a task or two and get some momentum going. I read it online somewhere (Final Version I think) and it's called "time burst." You work on a task for a time burst of so many minutes, take a break from it, and then do another time burst on the task. It suggests a sequence of time bursts of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 minutes. It's not recommended to go over 40 minutes. Like the first time burst could be making a list of actionable steps to work on one of the things you want to accomplish, and then taking on those steps one at a time with each subsequent time burst.

Another thing I do is the same sort of thing, but I "toggle" it with a household chore (or something that's mindless). So 5 minutes on the task I'm procrastinating on, then 5 minutes to start the laundry, 10 minutes on the task, 10 minutes to clean the kitchen, 15 minutes on the task, 15 more minutes in the kitchen, 20 minutes on the task, 20 minutes to organize a cupboard or closet, etc. I actually prefer this method over the previous one.
To be honest, I prefer the 2nd method with toggling two things that don't take much concentration.
What often happens is that the motivational drive to put my full attention to the task kicks in when I'm working on it for a 30 minute time slot and then I might just keep going with it. and abandon the time burst.