View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ananda

I'm a Buddhist LOL but I do think belief is important

When I went to treatment the first time they put down that I wanted to be sober but didn't believe it was possible for me (others, not me).

I believe that believing that sobriety is possible is absolutely critical to sobriety.

I have used many different "methods" and "medicines" to "stay sober". Ultimately I think they were all "placebos". But as long as I believed in them, I had an opportunity to stay sober.

It is how we handle the placebo effect that is important. I will take any "one up on" that I can get to be sober. I just have to understand that when the pill, the program, the philosophy or the program doesn't work... it doesn't mean I'm doomed.

Any amount of time that I can be sober is hugely helpful and not hurtful. Every day I am sober is a day that I not only have the opportunity to grow, learn, and enjoy .... but also (sometimes people forget this) a day that I don't have to die from alcoholism. (ok I might but I won't be contributing to that outcome).

I'm not joking when I say that belief in a scientific enquiry or rational discussion can be just as big a block to recovery as any other belief. Scientific enquiry is still subject to cultural and experience based bias as is the term "rational discussion". These terms change over time, if not in definition, in the conclusions and acceptance given.

I'm rational, I believe in scientific enquiry....but I find that so many biases and assumption go into that... (look at the history of scientific enquiry and what has been considered rational).

I hope that you are as concerned with the effect of beliefs (others and your own) on your personal understanding of addiction and reducing harm in your own life.

Your integrity and honesty make me hopeful that you will find a path that works for you!