View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ccam1973

Beeraholic, sounds like a good time to come up with a plan. I'll tell you from experience, you will be happier if you quit now than wait days, months or years to get better.

I waited until my oldest was 8 before really trying to quit. I'm just over a year sober now and it's been the best year since my kids were born. The quality of my time with them has improved, I'm not tired all of the time, I don't plan every waking moment around my drinking, no more unprovoked arguments just because I was in an alcohol induced fog... you get the picture.

Bottom line is don't do what I did and wait years before you truly quit. I can't remember most of the last 21 years much less the first 8 of my son's life.

You can do this and you won't regret the decision, I promise you that.

What's your plan. I didn't realize it in the beginning, but you've got to come up with a plan. Come up with how you will react when presented with drinking opportunities, how you will react to your mind telling you it is ok to just have one drink tonight, you deserve it, a plan to stay sober today. One day at a time.

It's a tough journey, but so worth every ounce of effort you put in. Use the strength behind this community. It really helped me in the early days to be as active as I could, even if that meant just reading up on old posts. It helps to know you aren't alone.

Lean on us as much as you need.