View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

He doesn't sound like a very nice guy.

One thing I've learned in my sobriety was there are different ways to tell people we don't drink anymore. Early on, I liked to keep it casual, with a laugh, and head toss. I would usually have a drink in my hand within a few minutes. This was when my sobriety hinged on wanting, maybe, possibly, sorta drink sometime in the future.

When I decided that I was done with alcohol and knew it with every cell in my body, my delivery changed. It was still somewhat casual and I never explained much, but I started telling people "I don't drink anymore" or "I don't drink." If they asked if I was just taking a break or whatever, I'd tell them no, I really wasn't going to drink anymore. I found that 99% of people accepted this, no problem. I only say 99% because I have never met anybody who aggressively wanted me to drink, but I imagine there are people like this out there.

It helps me to remember that lots of people don't drink (30% of US population I believe) so you won't look like some weirdo if you say you don't drink. Lots of people do not drink alcohol.

Remember as a child when one of your parents said no and you just knew they meant it? They gave you "the look." It's kinda like that.

I'll just speak for myself, but I used to do the super casual delivery so I could keep the door open to drink again, with whoever and whenever I chose.

I am somebody where once I tell someone, there is no way in heck I would ever drink around them again. And now that I don't drink at all, it's really easy to keep track (or not keep track) of who knows what.

And no, nobody can make you drink
. Once again, I will only speak for myself but I used to gladly let people "take me hostage" aka talking me into it.