Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Thanks for sharing. I was in my mid-30s when I went through a life-changing experience just like yours. I was sitting around exchanging x-mas presents with my family when I went into withdrawal seizures, I'd also never been in a hospital before and after a couple weeks I went back out and tried to start drinking again. Bad idea, because as soon as that door (seizures, hospitals, etc) opens up, it doesn't get better until you quit drinking. Against my instincts, I went to inpatient rehab and am now 3 years sober and kicking butt.

Don't rule out inpatient. There's never a good time for it. Everyone there has jobs, families, the whole 9 yards. Same goes for those in hospital and detox. We all try and talk ourselves out of truly getting sober because we can't imagine life without booze.

You were at death's door. At this point, what have you got to lose by giving treatment a fair shake? If you keep drinking, I am certain these symptoms will reoccur in time. Get help. It's available. It works. It can save your life. Welcome aboard and just remember that many of us here were also very shaken and afraid and have found success after kicking the drink. Good luck!