View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Originally Posted by alterity View Post
The hospital is not taking our concerns about B seriously, saying that they will not recommend an imposed inpatient treatment program. He was psychotic last week and they want to just let him walk! The staff also won't help with providing documentation showing he has a disability. From what I understand, they don't consider substance abuse disorder a disability even though it is listed in the DSM as one.

B's father has been handling this and now I think it's time for me to step in with some legalese.
The DSM only classifies substance abuse as a disorder, not as a disability; only the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) classifies certain disorders as disabilities; and currently, they also do not classify substance abuse disorder as a disability. What they do say, in part, is............:

"...An individual who is currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs is not an individual with a disability..."

I'm sorry you're going through all this with your son; I'm not going to get into your problems with the hospital, but I do understand their point of view.

(o:
NoelleR