Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Saskia

Welcome, MelancholyJ.

Your story is not unlike mine. It took me many years to deal with as much of my history as I needed to and it was a sometimes very painful process. In my twenties I was hospitalized after a suicide attempt. That helped a good deal and I think it enabled me to survive. Over the years I've had various forms of help. Alcohol has been an issue for years. I'm finally dealing with it, now successfully. I am 70 years old. It's never too late :-)

In my opinion it sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'm not familiar with the place you are going to but dealing with your issues is critical to have a good chance at a fulfilling life. It helps if you can relax into the process - something I'm not good at, lol!

For me, it has been a fairly continual process but a mostly upward trend. I now feel at peace and for the past years my awareness has changed from misery to feeling that "I am who I am because of what I endured rather than in spite of it".

My alcohol abuse hindered rather than helped the process but I finally feel that the worst of it is behind me.

You sound clear-headed and focused and imho you are headed in a positive direction. The unknown is harder for us because a situation in which we feel helpless is especially scary.

Good for you for walking the more difficult path of dealing with your past. I'll be thinking of you!