View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
achintobe

Looking for confirmation - was I wrong?

I'm looking for confirmation on my decision to recently end a 2 month relationship with a woman who appeared to have a serious problem. I am feeling guilty that I may have acted harshly but I think I know the answer. The facts:

1) She is a bartender/beverage cart girl at a golf course and has been known to drink on the job - reprimanded more than once and several jokes made by co-workers and even her boss about her drinking.
2) First date included several drinks (admittedly by both of us). Second date at her house I had nothing and she drank wine. Third date we both drank but I stopped after a couple and she continued to have several drinks.
3) She takes beer in a cozy or wine in a travel mug just to run errands any time of the day or night.
4) On the way to a party, she tried to open a bottle of Fireball (cinnamon whiskey) to take a swig while stopped at a red light a few blocks from the house. She also had a few drinks prior to heading out to the party. ( I wound up leaving early and walked home after a tiff over her "partying").
5) I once pointed out to her that her hand was shaking one morning while reaching for her coffee. She said it was "the alcohol", then told a "funny" story about a customer who made the same comment one day. This seems serious.
6) She once drank a warm beer at 2pm because she said "I need it now" instead of chilling it in the freezer for a few minutes.
7) She rotates liquor stores.
8) She drinks an estimated case (12 x 750ml) of wine per week plus beer and occasional shots and mixed drinks.
9) She doesn't dispose of empty bottles directly into the trash or recycling. I've seen empty bottles by the case in her garage.
10) I've caught her lying on a few occasions when there was no need to.
11) She jokes about drinking i.e., "I'm not drinking anymore....or any less!"
12) I suggested sex would be better sober and she said it didn't matter to her.
13) I'm not the first partner to comment on her drinking.
14) I could go on.....

I broke up with her because of one too many angry outbursts including insults and criticism that came out of left field - irrelevant topics that weren't even being discussed. Her mom committed suicide when she was 5, her brother did the same when she was 29. She's divorced, has anxiety (possibly addicted to Xanax as she rounds it up on the street because her doc won't refill the Rx), her son is supposedly on heroin, and she has a brother in prison for various assault and drug charges.

I told her flat out she is an alcoholic and needs help. That her friends are not a good group to rely on. That she is screwing up her life. And that she, frankly, is a mess. I wasn't kind and it got heated with name calling and other accusations. Then I did some research on all this and I'm torn up with guilt that I may have pushed her to the brink. She is an alcoholic I do believe, but she told me to never contact her again. I'd like to make amends and support her if needed. Should I and how?