View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Austin4Wyo

Counting the amount of drinks others drink. Noting all their plans. Stating that they are "dependent" on a chemical for the good time.

Look, a person can go to bars all night without getting soused as a newt. I know people that went to bars last night, but I'm unaware if they drank one, a few, many, or no cocktails at their evening stop offs. I'm certain that when I go to a gathering where people are drinking, I'm not counting how many cocktails others consume. I did at one point, and all I was doing was avoiding my own personal responsibility.

Stating that these people are "dependent" on alcohol for a good time is mighty presumptive. I don't know people's lives.or motivations. I'm disinclined to try and be a mind reader.

I cannot objectively see a redeeming quality to me drinking anymore. I also have to realize that, because I am not someone else, I cannot be objective about their drinking, their motivations, and their outcomes.

I'm glad you feel the gratitude in liberation from drinking. I'd be awfully wary of making blanket statememts regarding qualifications for others to have a good time. Presuming everyone sees their world through my lense is dangerous, both because it feeds my ego and because my lense is heavily distorted.

Alcohol is prevalent. This isn't news. In fact, it was a great excuse for me to stay in the disease. "Everyone drinks!" and the like were fabulous projections on my part to justify being canned EVERY social gathering.

My anecdotal counterpoint is this: when I stopped focusing on drinking, I saw that most people didn't drink like I did. Most aren't dependent on it for a good time. Its simply one small additive to their good time, but on the whole, is completely optional, and their good time wouldn't be affected if it wasn't present, or so I can observe. I guess I could be complety wrong, since I already stated I don't read minds, but their observed observed behavior toward gatherings with or without booze lends itself to my opinion.

Me? I had to have booze to have a good time, and several years ago, I was good at projecting MY problems on others, which for me, was nothing more than avoidance, self-pity, and resentment. Funnily enough, when I focused on others drinking, I wasn't dealing with myself, and I didn't stay sober.

When I'm making observations about others, its good to check my motives. If all I'm doing is hollering "ROBBLE! ROBBLE ROBBLE!" without a clear and constructive purpose, I've found that my motives are usually suspect.

I can't drink. Thats where it ends for me. My business, not theirs.

I'll put my soapbox away now.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior