Thread: Taoism and AA
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I love how many of the struggles that we have today, power, acceptance, wealth, politics, where the same topics that were up for discussion back then, the methods have changed through technology etc but the basic questions of being a human and existing in society are similar.

Back to the original assertion, the principles of AA being similar to other wisdom, it may be simply that the human condition has now been unchanged for centuries, and philosophers have stumbled across the same conclusions!!
I have heard some of our elder statesman in AA sign off on many, many character defects as being inherently unique to alcoholics. "you do xyz because you're and alcoholic!"

I don't argue that there are common traits in most alcoholics - selfishness is one I contend.

But, there are many shortcomings in non alcoholics as well as alcoholics. This is simply part of the human condition. Lie, cheat, steal, greed, lust etc. The 7 deadly sins were not invented nor do AA members have the market cornered on these, imo.

What is indeed different for us in recovery is we get unique opportunity/perspective to address these "flaws" and perhaps evolve/change them. Procrastination, fear, selfishness to name a few.

Love abides - compassion abides - truth abides
I have read somewhere and agree with those sentiments!

Great Thread W
Nice post pk.....