Thread: Taoism and AA
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
wpainterw

There are so many wise posts on this thread that all I can say is that I am heartily in agreement. Alcoholism, with its developing and progressive slavery of the body to a substance, with its increasing dominance of the AV over the more rational parts of the brain, virtually rules out any chance of developing what has been called "wisdom". And when recovery begins, the search for wisdom can gradually resume. Despite 27 years of sobriety I cannot profess to be "wise". Who can? Yet I can say this: that happiness can best be found in moderation, one thing at a time, one day at a time, setting priorities, no longer sweating the small stuff, not trying to change the big stuff which can't be changed, ridding oneself of dependence on what people may think, on money, power, possessions (Tao's "ten thousand things"), on people or places, seeking understanding and forgiveness, not only of others but of oneself. The list goes on and on. It has been there for centuries. But, as the half mad poet Blake, said, "Wisdom is sold in that desolate market place where none come to buy." Wrong, perhaps. A few do come to buy. But all too few in these troubled, indeed toxic, times in which we live.
Call it "happiness". Some call it "spiritual" but if others are turned off by this, just call it "happiness". Before I "coped" with stuff by drinking. Now I'm not drinking and I can really cope.

W.