Thread: Taoism and AA
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I'm also impressed with other ancient sources of wisdom, such as Aristotle, Epicurus, the Book of Ecclesiastes and Marcus Aurelius, all quite out of tune with our times, which emphasize money, "success", power, fame, "me", "information", all toxic in one way or another.
My sister years ago went to study a masters in classical studies, which she had to learn either Greek or Latin, in addition it involved getting into all the ancient philosophers.

Anyways I was clearing out the attic at my mum's house last summer and came across all her old books, Aristotle, Plato etc, and so I decided to have a read of all these books that I'd heard of but had never read, always had great intentions, but like so many things, alcohol drained my time!!

I love how many of the struggles that we have today, power, acceptance, wealth, politics, where the same topics that were up for discussion back then, the methods have changed through technology etc but the basic questions of being a human and existing in society are similar.

Back to the original assertion, the principles of AA being similar to other wisdom, it may be simply that the human condition has now been unchanged for centuries, and philosophers have stumbled across the same conclusions!!