View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

yessir.... well my post wasn't meant to judge people or take their inventory.

for me, this train of thought is just how I look at what's going on in the world around me, more and more. I honestly see loads and loads of people drinking in ways that - while they are not alcoholic necessarily - are just plain destructive to what I'd like my life to be about. How many times have I myself been that guy who didn't get blackout drunk - but still had 8 beers or so throughout the course of a day and because of all that beer ate more than I should have and because of that beer didn't go do active things I love...

It's useful for me to look at these very real examples all around me and see how even those who are not 'problem drinkers' still allow drinking to take a priority. Because when I look at it that way, I can see pretty clearly that even IF I could 'drink normally' - 'normally' would still be out of alignment with my preferred experience of life.

I do believe that great swaths of our country and indeed our world make alcohol far too high a priority. At holidays, it is glaringly obvious. Maybe you're right about the 10% being "like us"..... but from what I observe there's probably another 40-60% who are not "like us" but are still not at all "moderate". And it kind of makes me sad for them, but it mostly helps reinforce my own sobriety. The WHY? Well... asking why still helps me see why... and seeing why still helps me stay sober.