Thread: Authenticity V
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
ArtFriend

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
My thoughts on therapy...I know I need it but I have yet to find one who challenges me. I think when I have tried it in the past I have basically told them what I thought they wanted to hear so they would feel good about themselves and I could go on pretending I was perfectly normal. I am an intensely private person but that has certainly done me no favors.
I think a skilled therapist would know that Della. It is called "resistance" in psych lingo. There are patterns in the way clients talk to their therapist and a good one will be able to see that you are simply telling them "what they want to hear" and attempt to get to the real issues. If you are naturally private, you might have to stick with therapy for awhile to build a trust where you can talk about your true issues with the therapist. It takes time tho.

QUOTE=Della1968;5450263]Since I got sober I have had to face some things in myself I didn't necessarily want to. I would have always told you I was an empath and I truly do feel pain for other people and want to fix everything. Now I wonder if I really am narcissistic and some of my caring is for my own benefit. Then sometimes I wonder if I really am just crazy. Love to all[/QUOTE]

Not crazy! Maybe you can try a therapist again and explore these things?