View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post

I've been reading and sometimes responding to the Newcomer's threads - both first time on SR and those who are back after a relapse. Some are so hard to read but they leave me feeling stronger, if that's possible, about staying sober. It's heartbreaking to see how many struggle with this miserable disease and go through relapse after relapse. I am so thankful for my "home" thread and this one, too. We share not only challenges but joys and milestones as well. I'm not sure I could manage the newcomers' threads without my two wonderful support groups here. Thanks to all!
May 2015, July 2013, and this thread are my home here on SR but active participation in the Newcomers forum is the heart of my recovery this time. Yes, there's a lot of pain and heartbreak there, but there's also a lot of hope. It's awesome to see when that light clicks on for another addict as the possibility of real recovery becomes true for them. Plus I won't lie--it feels really good when I feel like I play a small part in keeping another addict sober/clean one more day. Daily reading and participating in the Newcomers forum is what keeps me sober.

There's a ton of power in the simple act of one recovering addict helping another. If you don't go to read and/or participate in the Newcomers forum anymore, I suggest you take 10-20 minutes a day and do so. Even if all you do is say "welcome" to someone posting for the first time here, it can make a huge difference in your own recovery. In my opinion, of course.

On day 55 here. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Wednesday!