Thread: hello ...
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I was told that the voice will never actually shut up / go away, but we get better at ignoring it or reacting to it (reacting could just as easily mean getting stressed out by it as actually doing what it says).

I listened to a speaker on one of the AA speaker recordings who recalled a TV comedy show, where an rude; ignorant; overbearing 'Mom' visits her adult children. When she visits her son and spends all weekend nagging and criticising he argues back; tries to reason with her; and almost goes mad by the end of the visit. When the 'Mom' visits the daughter in the next episode, and does exactly the same thing, the daughter just laughs and says 'Ohhhh Mommmm. Shut uuuuup' and gives her a hug. I try to inwardly respond like the daughter to my AV. 'Ohhhh Alcoholic Voice. Shut uuuuup' - even including the *hug* - because self-hating can be dangerously counter-productive.

PS Listening to those speaker tapes can be really powerful generally - just to keep things ticking over and my mind in the 'right' place so I don't wander from my sober path.