View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
The distinction between “heavy drinker” and “alcoholic” is mostly an AA thing, and it’s entirely notional. There’s no hard line in the sand, on one side of which you’re a “heavy drinker” and on the other of which you’re an “alcoholic.” There are only degrees of difficulty in stopping. It’s a continuous spectrum, on one end of which are those who drink a lot but can stop without difficulty, and on the other end of which are those who die from their affliction despite every earnest effort to stop. There’s a lot of middle ground there.

I don’t find this made-up distinction useful, as can encourage people in AA who identify as “real alcoholics” to accord themselves a weird kind of elitist status.

If you self-identify as simply a “heavy drinker” who wants to quit, well, go ahead and quit. If you try to quit but have any difficulty doing it, you can call yourself anything you want as far as I’m concerned, but you're welcome to ask for help here -- it's what we're here for.
Well said Andante. I've always found these discussions regarding real alcoholic vs. heavy drinker to be counter-productive. IMO, it's important to remember that the Big Book of AA is not a medical text, nor is it the definitive text on alcoholism. However, it does contain a good bit of wisdom based on experience, but a portion of it is archaic and in some cases incorrect in its assertions.

To respond to the original poster: a drinker either has a problem stopping or they don't, the label used is inconsequential IMO. If a drinker does have a problem stopping, there are a variety of helpful resources available, and there should be no shame in seeking help if needed. If you're having an issue with stopping, I urge you to seek help, or--at the very least take--some time to read through the various threads here on Sober Recovery.