View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome! I think partners of alcoholics often become very attached to being "needed." In truth, all of us should be complete in ourselves and not "need" another person to be whole.

I wouldn't predict what your future with your wife is going to look like, based on the way your relationship is four days home from rehab. It's impossible to say, and everything will be "off" for a while. Eventually things will settle down and you will both make adjustments, and THEN you can consider whether the relationship is working as it is, whether more work on your relationship is called for, or whether you even both want to continue with it. Anything is possible.

Keep working your program and let her work hers. Everything is very new and different and it's a HUGE adjustment. My first husband got sober a year before we got married and he's still sober 35 years later. We eventually divorced (my choice) after 15 years, but most of the marriage was good in the sense that we never stopped caring for each other or respecting each other. I just wanted something different for my life. But I remember the first couple of years were a little crazy-making at times. Things settled down into a new normal.