View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Serenidad

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Self Hatred is such a harsh word. Don't you think? Hatred. No one likes to use that word or should have have to use that word. It's so ugly. Right? We need to learn...learn how to change that ugly word to a pleasant more appealing word. A lovely, loveable, kind, caring considerate word. Many, including myself grew up with family or friends verbally abusing us with ugly words that hurt. They hurt us deep down to our very being. We didn't deserve to be talked to or treated by those we thought loved or cared for us. However, many of us had to learn that we were raised by sick parents who in their own addictions, sickness, illness treated us badly and did the best they could with whatever knowledge they had to use at that time in their lives. Or they didn't know any better, which I would beg to differ on that. However, being in recovery and thru the years have learned to turn off those negative tapes that was drilled into me as a child and replace them with healthy, more positive one that could and would build my self esteem, self- worth, the person that I truly am meant to be. I used alcohol to numb many of those negative childhood issues, verbal, physical, emotional abuse sustained at the hand of a sick mother and it nearly costed my life. When I got into recovery and worked thru all those issues I drank over, I became stronger in my heart, mind and soul as well as regaining my life to be a more healthier, happier person. Today I own my life, my recovery and am so grateful for it because no one can ever take it away from me. You can too.
If you can do it then I can too. It's amazing how much our own mothers (or family) can hurt us. It leaves scars and pain that is unbearable. Alcohol....in a sense has SAVED my life. Without it at certain periods in my life, I'm sure I would have killed myself. The pain of the trauma I experienced was just too much to bear.

BUT...now the consequences of my drinking are more painful than the reasons (trauma, abuse, rape) etc. I drank. The consequences just aren't worth it anymore. Alcohol doesn't numb my pain anymore. It just adds to it. You know?