View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Serenidad

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
It really seems to. I have to do it when I'm not having cravings for practice, because they can be pretty hard to ignore. Now that I've gotten the hang of it just being able to clear my mind of that stupid AV for a few minutes is enough to get me back on the right track. I also saw someone say that they wrote down their "play it forward list" about what would happen if they took a drink. I guess writing it down instead of just thinking it can be more powerful to some people. Never hurts to try! Whatever you need to get through them. Ice Cream is also helpful for me haha
Is this the "play it forward list" (see below) you are talking about? Ironically, I was the one that started that thread a few weeks ago and used that tool several times but did NOT use it Thursday when I drank. (((Head bang)))

-------------------------------------------

Just wanted to share....

I got a craving at my usually time yesterday....between 4:00-6:00 pm. I took my journal out and started writing. It was essentially "writing through the drink" instead of "thinking through the drink". (a.k.a. playing the drinking tape all the way through) When I am having a craving it's hard for me to think about anything BUT drinking so writing it out was so helpful!

It looked something like this:
1. Craving
2. Lie to family about where I am going so I can go out and drink
3. Buy beer & cigs
4. Chug beer in my car and worry someone will see me or even a cop
5. Go to bar
6. Sit alone like a loser
7. Drink X,Y, Z until I feel sick
8. Spend tons of money we don't have
9. Drive home drunk (ugh!) or spend a ton of $ on a cab
10. Vomit when get home
11. Spend the entire night tossing and turning and hating myself
12. Wake up stinking like alcohol and stale smoke
13. Feel so much shame, guilt, anxiety and depression in the morning
14. Head pounding
15. Soooo hungover
16. Wasted so much money

You get the idea. Mine was ALOT more detailed and ended up having about 40 things on the list but it worked. By the time I got done there was no way in hell I wanted to drink!

I'm sure others have tried this tool, but if you haven't...it worked for me so maybe it will help you. :-)