Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Lets dedicate this thread to helping the newest of our SR clan make a weekend sober, fun and share how those of us with some time have done it.
I wanted to comment for the newbs how I did it over two years ago.

I started out with IOP for twenty days. My choice. No one made me do it The group therapy was what I liked most about IOP. That helped me tremendously.

I did SR, of course. I read lots of books on recovery. I went to some meetings - both AA and Women For Sobriety. I started working out regularly: running and weightlifting. I started taking some vitamins. Later on I started meditating. Started out with five minutes and now I do a 20-30 session typically. I participate in the Gratitude threads. That's super important, in my opinion. There are studies done showing that people who write out what they are grateful for on a regular basis actually improve in specific areas (can't remember the details, but just Google it). Also, there are tons of studies on meditation and how they think it changes your brain. I think that's important for early recovery in general. I ate ice-cream and sugar early on, still do, but not as much. I cap my coffee at 2-3 cups per day. I drink enough water and get enough sleep. I eat healthy without being a health nut

So, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Oh, I adopted my Beagles a year into recovery. I also started growing plants and gardening a year and a half in.

My freelance writing business is better these days. I am writing more consistently. I can handle stress, deadlines, shopping in stores. I handle all our finances, keeping up with the details using spreadsheets and some online software. So I know exactly how much money we have, where it goes, who we owe, etc. Trying to get our finances back in shape. It will take a while to become debt free, but that's the plan!

I'm currently studying for the GRE as well. I'd like to finish my education. I am facing some really tough decisions. I don't talk much about it, because it's one of those things no one can really help me with at this point. I just have to make the choice and do it.

So, to all the newbs ... don't drink, no matter what! Use tools like "playing the tape through", distraction, substitution, whatever you can to get through the early days ... things do get better, you'll start really liking the new sober you soon You won't WANT to go back to drinking! Life is much more interesting sober I promise!