Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
LBrain

Tetra! Did you bring enough for everyone?

Well folks, I'm glad to see all of the new riders. And many returning ones. And, of course, the regular crew! Sounds like all are doing well and have things going on. And yes, if you are entering into a stressful situation or venturing out into new sober activities, stay close. It got me through the first year.

I haven't fished in salt water for a few years. It was only when some guys from work went. Maybe ten times if that over the years. I just wanted to go. I had nobody to babysit me. I went just to feel free and know that I could do it without drinking. Been wanting to for a while. Next step is getting the kayak in the salt and landing some ferocious fish in a kayak. Hopefully no real sharks! I definitely want to take the wife crabbing in kayaks - should be a blast if we - she - can ever get the time to do it. And it will be a first for me too. Crabs is good!

I did something this morning I never did before in my life during my drinking days. I actually washed my gear in clean water and put it away. No more fishing once and discover 5 years later your reel and rod are rusted and not usable. So even though I have over a year, I'm still learning to do the things that need to be done. In the past it seemed like such a chore to take care of things. Just downing cold beer was the remedy for all that (UN)necessary work. The reality is it took about a half hour and it gave me a sense of responsibility about myself.

In looking back, was I lazy or just a drunk? Perhaps both. But now that I don't drink the lazy me is becoming a thing of the past. The little things that need to be done are getting done. And it is no longer a painful chore. It is part of the "thing" now. No more just participating in the 'fun' part of something. There is the 'cleanup' afterword. And it ain't so bad.