View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dharma33
One Day At A Time

42 Days & A Sober Birthday

Hi, Everyone-

I have 42 days sober (just re-calculated; clearly sobriety hasn't improved my math skills ) and yesterday celebrated a birthday.

It was the first birthday in oh, 20 years that I have not been drinking.

My DH surprised me with dinner reservations at a favorite restaurant, golf clubs, and a tee time for a round of golf.

At dinner we sat in the lounge area, which is our usual spot. I ordered iced tea without even thinking about it. Dinner was lovely and it was the first time I have truly enjoyed myself in a social situation without feeling like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. I played the tape through anyway, because I know too well that cozy feeling where I feel safe to have 'just one'.

Golfing was so much fun- I enjoyed myself and my husband's company, stayed in the present moment and didn't obsess about when the 'beer cart' was coming around next. I also wasn't obsessing with the bottle(s) of wine I would normally have waiting at home for the rest of the night.
I felt FREE, because I am.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you on SR. You have not only changed, but saved my life. Onward to a sober year!