View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adnamaeel

FreeOwl, are you going to Santa Clara, by chance?
I think you have already proven to yourself that you can remain strong in your resolve, and I think spending some time focused on your concerns is a good idea. You can make some plans for how you'll decline what's offered to you in advance, and be prepared for it before it comes up.
Last year, after only 3 months clean, I spent about 10 days in a very decadent festival environment, one I usually describe as a garden of every earthly delight imaginable. It's an event I've been involved with for my entire adult life, and I had both vending and volunteer obligations there, so I couldn't get out of it. I was nervous going into it, but decided to really focus on having faith in myself while there. During that 10 days I was offered a range of drugs and drink, but successfully declined every offer. I did seek out people I knew there who were clean and sober, but more for the comraderie than for the support. Still, it was good to know they were there.
At the end of things, after I had packed everything up and was driving home, I realized that I felt truly empowered by the experience, and even stronger in my resolve to stay sober than I had felt before. I didn't feel like I missed out on any of the fun, but that I got to experience it all on my own new terms.
I believe you can have a similar experience, and really hope that you do. Have a fabulous trip.