View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

Very common topic to post, this is mine

I married my wife 11 years ago, and I have become really good friends with her 3 brothers. They are great guys. I'm particularly tight with the youngest one, he's my age, and he is a general construction contractor in Los Angeles. We talk on the phone 2-3 times a week. I'd say he's we've become about as close to best friends as men our age can. One of the main reasons is that I can help him in my line of work, and he can helps me. We often call each while at our jobs to resolve issues etc... My wife and I go there about twice a year to visit (we own the house). BUT, he is a heavy drinker, dare I say an alcoholic. No big surprise in this line of work. When we go out there I usually go to the jobs with him and learn a lot of stuff, but after work its meat on the grill, sit on the patio and drink. Laugh until our stomachs hurt. Discuss intelligent stuff, but also a fair amount of drunk talk. When I went on my historic bender 2 winters ago, I showed up in LA for the funeral drunk as I drank the whole flight there...I had to. He was more than willing to join me in the "fun". But when I got back I got down to business and changed my ways. He hasn't. He has only been to Minnesota once, and that was for our wedding. Never been back. Called me today, he's coming on the 2nd or 3rd of July. Obviously this presents a challenge. I can't drink. Even if I could, I've limited myself to the weekend warrior status since 2012 with the exception of the 1 bad bender I mentioned. How do I entertain a guy who likes to drink his beers and carry on, when I can't/won't drink? I certainly can't cave in and join him. At the end of the day, the reason for this post is that I've got a problem coming my way and not sure how to handle it. It's not even fair to say its a "problem" as he's a really good friend. So, I'm leaning on the SR family for help and suggestions.