View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by maybear View Post
Reading this thread has got me confused.

It's hard to know where to draw the line with helping. I see the advice of BlueChair regarding family support and involvement leading to better outcomes, but surely the addicted person has to meet you half way. Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere. What if family members can't afford to send their loved one to the very best rehab? Is AA and one on one psychological treatment post rehab not a good enough option for people?

BlueChair, can you point me in the direction of the evidence based research your are referring to... I am genuinely interested.

Sorry to hijack your post OP, I can see you want to support your fiancé but to me it sounds like she isn't meeting you half way. I would think that although it is beneficial to have a family involved in the treatment process, her addiction remains hers. She doesn't really seem all that motivated to make changes at this point. I don't know how you can 'work' with that. It must feel very tiring for you at this point.
Im just linking to the main section for family, you can browse around at principles of effective treatment and such.

Patients & Families | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

No one treatment or program works for everyone, but there are guidelines issued.