View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lillamy

Big hugs, Wisconsin. It may indeed be less of a hassle to move out than to get him to move out.

You know my story: I moved with the kids to a marginal neighborhood with gang problems and violence because it was what I could afford. What I did find, however, was that people like us -- normal working stiffs with no gang affiliation -- were sort of taken care of by the local hoodlums. They made sure to warn us when something was going down; they kept their issues out of their own hood and I actually felt a greater sense of community there than I did in the fancy suburban hell where I left AXH. Just for encouragement!

One avenue that might be something to look into is Catholic Social Services. My (slum)landlord saw his owning of this cruddy old apartment building as his Christian works, so most tenants were referred by Catholic Social Services -- they guaranteed the first X months of rent, and then lowered their part of the rent payment over time until the tenant could stand on their own feet. Even if you don't need the rent support, CSS might be able to refer you to landlords that fill the bill for what you're looking for?

Sending lots of love and prayers to you for safety and wisdom and of course a great apartment.