View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gettngstronger1

Allmirages, I wandered on over here to your thread after our posts today on another thread. Wow, I can't believe what this guy put you through. You are so strong! My friend who I discussed did the same thing, he had a wonderful girlfriend who loved him with all her heart. She was so good to him and stuck by his side through his addiction and rehab. He dropped her like a hot potato as soon as he got out of rehab. He didn't even have the decency to call her and tell her he was breaking up with her, he just ignored her for months until she finally got the hint and gave up texting and calling him.

Your use of the word "cocky" was SPOT ON! Same with my friend, he developed a huge ego and became extremely arrogant and self centered. I just never understood it. I thought that part of rehab and recovery was repairing relationships that had been damaged due to the addiction, and making amends. That definitely didn't happen here.

I guess I struggle the most with this complete lack or remorse or appreciation for the people in the addicts' lives who loved them enough to try and help them, even after being so badly hurt. This friend who I thought I knew well and cared for, for 15 years (the last 3 of which he was in active addiction) was just completely gone after rehab. It was like he emerged from rehab sober, but without a soul or a conscience... Which he always had in the past, even when he was battling his addiction. It's like he became cold and numb, and lost the ability to care about anyone but himself. It's absolutely baffling to me.

And then to find out 4 years later that my boyfriend of a year and a half was a substance abuser... I was crushed. But I had no desire to stick around and wait to see what would happen. I hope you found some peace and happiness in the months since your break up.