Thread: Bittersweet
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gettngstronger1

I didn't mean to imply that it's the rehab's fault as to the negative behaviors and attitudes. At the end of the day, of course it's a million times better for the addict to be sober and alive and healthy, as opposed to what the alternative could have been without rehab. But if you could have heard and seen my friend and the complete personality change, it was as though he had been abducted by a cult and brainwashed. There is no trace whatsoever of the person who I had known for 12 years and was close friends with, prior to his addiction taking over for 3 years. Rehabs or not, addiction destroys people, period.

And it's not at all a bad thing that you said you never would have been there if you knew how it was going to turn out. I feel the same way after going through it with my friend, which is why I ran for the hills when I found out that I was about to go through it again with my ex. No way, no how. It makes you SMART to say that. As the original poster of this thread said, we have to love ourselves enough to let these addicts go. Before we get dragged down with them and lose ourselves in the process. Hugs to everyone here <3