View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

As you probably know, we can't give medical advice here. I do know that stopping medication AMA is one of the most dangerous things a person can do. So if you're considering that, please discuss it with your doctor. That being said...

I suffered from panic and anxiety, which stopped me from functioning. I was useless. I healed slowly, over time, but did not go the medication route. I was prescribed meds more than once, had an honest go with them, and ultimately decided that wasn't the path I wanted to take. I didn't want to medicate my anxiety (nor any of my other feelings for that matter), and didn't buy into the chemical imbalance things I was told. I'm now completely functional, don't suffer from panic or depression anymore, and any anxiety I still deal with from time to time is usually for good reason, and completely manageable.

I did all the things you mention in your OP, yet had to continually keep reaching out. I have to admit, I spent a lot of time being uncomfortable, but I feel it paid off. I'd feel a wee bit better with every little change I made, and I had to make many.

The one important thing I noticed you didn't mention was diet. What we eat has a great deal to do with how we feel, though many seem not to believe it. Processed sugar causes me anxiety. As do other processed foods. I eat a mostly plant based diet for the past 10 years and it has made a huge difference in the way I feel. I also learned I have to force myself to drink water. I'm a camel. I can easily go on 8 ounces of water a day. I've learned that drinking 8X that much is essential to my mental, and physical health.

I don't believe anymore that there's a one size fits all solution for panic, anxiety and depression, but I know there are hundreds of tools out there that work. I also believe that we will heal according to our beliefs. I never believed that my mental and emotional issues were something I had to accept for the rest of my life, regardless of how many psychiatrists told me so. And I was right. They were wrong. Had I gone their route, and continued with medication, they would have been right.

Again, all the things you mentioned helped me - along with lots of reading, developing my spiritual life, getting involved in new activities, taking vitamin D supplements (recently discovered I was deficient), doing relaxation exercises regularly, learning to pamper myself (baths, new age music, dates with myself). Even had a go at CBT for a while. I just kind cracked the door open to healing, and lots of things were presented to me. It was up to me however to make use of them. Should mention also that AA and the 12 steps were a huge part of my healing.

And fwiw, coffee is an absolute no-no IMO for anyone suffering from anxiety. IMHO, someone who complains about anxiety while drinking coffee is as sick as an alcoholic who keeps drinking alcohol thinking things are going to get better. I know, because I did both .

Hang in there. It gets better so long as we don't give up. My experience, anyhow.