View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rc4dt1

Meds - are they even working?

I am taking gabapentin for anxiety and lamictal for mood stabilization and impulse control. My doctor has essentially ruled out bipolar but we have been trying several different medications (SSRIs, mood stabilizers, ADHD medication, etc) without much relief. I am so sick of the constant anxiety, sadness, anger, worry, second guessing, low confidence, low self-esteem, isolation, etc. I wake up with this daily.

I am trying to do the right thing behaviorally by exercising, meditating, reaching out for help, attending therapy, etc. I have a good job, I handle myself ok socially despite being really uncomfortable (shortness of breath like someone is standing on my chest and rarely feeling joy), and I am in overall good physical health.

My point is that I am not handicapped by my emotional and mental struggles. I just do NOT feel right.

So my question is, shouldn’t I feel better if the medication was in fact working? Is it possible that I just don’t realize I feel better or should it be noticeable improvement?