View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
makomago

What immediately springs to mind is something said to me when I was counting the days from my last drink "Don't count the days, make the days count."

The other saying that I like of a similar nature is 'who ever got up earliest today has the most sober time'.

Even better, from the book Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams "Time is an illusion; lunch time doubly so".

I'm sure there must be physical changes that occur overtime as the last drug of choice leaves the system. But ultimately my problem was the mental obsession. I don't think it was simply a matter of time that took away the obsession, although it took time.

For me the thing that counts is the insight gained and by that I mean the bringing of the sub conscious to the conscious a spiritual awakening and to clarify that by spiritual I refer to 'a' definition that sprirituality is about relationships with self, others and a God/HP of ones own understanding.

Those insights for me came by talking with others in recovery, by self examination and action.

To use the other old saying 'sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly' ... time since the last 'drug of choice' to my way of thinking is mostly, but not entirely irrelevant, I'm glad I've reached a point where I don't consider the time and I'm glad because it used to cause me difficulties.

... I didn't feel as good or worthy as those with more time, I felt better than those with less. That is a distorted erroneous view I held - a failure of grandiosity at both ends of the spectrum. Yikes.

... I imagined 'magic' would happen at a certain intervals. It didn't happen at certain intervals, but it did happen. Although by magic I mean, insights and lessons were learned, I became gained more self awareness. I recovered.

... I can lose focus and future trip, I can get stuck in the past. Both deflect me away from now which is the only time.

So, time matters as part of the whole because it is part of the whole. But for me, I don't give much thought to time sober. I don't give time much credit either. Again it's an old saying but 'nothing changes if nothing changes' its the changes, insight and action that counts. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.